17 June, 2011

Husband Approved Super Supreme Veggie Pizza

Sometimes I like to make meat-free meals. Not that I don't like meat, I do. Really. But as an American (Midwesterner no less) I think I probably have more than my fare share of animals for meals. But some of my meatless endeavors have been met with less than enthusiastic responses from my rather carnivorous husband. So I wasn't completely certain how my veggie pizza idea was going to go.
I requested my husband's help in veggie chopping, since there were quite a few (OK fine, he chopped all the veggies while I mixed up the dough). I gave him a list of veggies that were living in the fridge and these are what he picked.

(Just so you know: this recipe is my version of my friend Tonya's "Prova i miei tre pizze !" (Try My 3 Pizzas) )

Dough:
1/4 oz. package of Fleischman's Pizza Crust Yeast (follow the directions on the package. I'm terrible at bread/dough and this came out great!)

Sauce:
Bertolli Organic Olive Oil, Basil and Garlic (I used about 12 oz.)


Veggies:
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Large can black olives (the can says drained weight 6 oz.)
Fresh white mushrooms (I honestly have no clue how many mushrooms he put on here. Around 4 oz.)
2 Roma tomatoes


Cheese:
4 cups of shredded mozzarella
2 cups of shredded cheddar (I did mention I like cheese right?)

Coarsely chop the veggies and mix together in a large bowl, then spread over the dough. Chop the tomatoes in large pieces and add on top.
Before the cheese was added.
Now, spread on the cheese and pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 425.

I used my Pampered Chef pizza stone which is quite large and so the crust was very thin (but still good). I think next time I would not spread the dough so thin and add a lip around the crust since I now have sauce puddles in the bottom of the oven.


Oh yes, the best part of all? My husbands reaction. He loved it! He as already requested that I make it again.

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, This looks GREAT! Yay for you and yeast becoming friends. I LOVE those pizza packets! Makes for nice workable dough. Marinated artichoke hearts would be fabbo on this too! Mmmm, now I am getting hungry!
    P.S. You MUST try buying a ball of fresh Mozzarella next time and shredding it. I am telling you, you'll never want to go back!!!! Ok, that sounded demanding. Pleeease try fresh Mozz next time? Thank you very much. :) (You can thank me later....) tee hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo artichoke hearts, yum!
    That is the easiest dough ever! Thanks for putting it in your post. I actually HAVE fresh mozzarella in the fridge, no idea why I didn't think to use that. I think I must have been starving by then and just wanted it in the oven so we could eat. I love fresh mozzarella. Have you tried the little bite-sized marinated ones? Yum!

    ReplyDelete